It was while talking to my friend, Em that I came up with the idea of writing out the recipes I cook now that I am determine to cook more at home and less going out.
First I must mention, in everything that I make I am one who will take things out and try something else or even if I do not like the vegetable to either take it entirely or substitute with something I know I will eat. I have become picky in my ripe old age of twenty-five. In short I will be posting how I make the meal and then write out what recipe really looks like and you, the readers can decide which you wish to make.
Taco Salad is a very simple meal in not only my opinion, but also my husband’s. While the recipe seems like a long list, remember you may not like Green Peppers or Tomatoes and after making the meal I can tell you if you don’t want them you would not really need them.
Here is what you need:
- 8 ounces of lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 can (15-ounces) of Dark Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bottle (8-ounces) of Taco Sauce
- 1 package of Taco Seasoning
- 3/4 cup of Frozen Whole Kernel Corn, thawed
- 6 cups (or for me a small head) of Shredded Leaf or Iceberg Lettuce
- 1 bag of Tortilla Chips or Tortilla Cups
- 1/2 cup of avocado (which is half of one after pitted, peeled, and chopped)
- In a medium saucepan cook meat and garlic until beef is brown. Drain (if you wish, I do not because it was not that bad); then placing back in the saucepan read the directions of the package Taco Seasoning, drain until there almost little to no liquid then place back in saucepan.
- Stir in kidney beans, taco sauce, and corn. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place in a large bowl lettuce.
- To serve, divide lettuce among the tortilla cups (or divide in bowls that have a one-layer of tortilla chips). Top each serving with some of the meat mixture, then add avocado (if you desire).
- Optional things to add to the Salad are: Cheese (your decision of what cheeses) and Sour Cream.
Overall time is at least 45 minutes.
And you will hopefully get something like this:
Here is the Original Recipe in the Better Homes Cookbook:
8 ounces lean ground beef or uncooked ground turkey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 8-ounce bottle taco sauce
3/4 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed (optional)
6 cups shredded leaf or iceberg lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 large green sweet pepper, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion (4)
6 purchased tortilla cups
1 medium avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and chopped (1/2 cup)
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
Dairy sour cream (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan cook ground beef and garlic until beef is brown. Drain off fat. Stir in kidney beans, taco sauce, and if desired, corn. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in an extra-large bowl combine lettuce, tomatoes, sweet pepper, and green onion. To serve, divide lettuce mixture among the tortilla cups. Top each serving with some of the meat mixture and avocado. Sprinkle with cheese. If desired, serve with sour cream.
While the recipe is almost the same I added the Taco Seasoning because I love a kick to my beef. I was unsure if would work, but it of course did and my husband was more than pleased with the results.
In the end, I am a cook who loves to improvise with recipes and make them my own. If you have a recipe you think would be great to try please send me a message at my email: firstname.lastname@example.org and in the subject line write “Recipe” please let me know who you are or what name I should give when I update my blog of my success or failure of the recipe, I need to give credit to those who hand over their recipes to this amateur cook.